Friday, June 22, 2007

Grow a pair

Not updating the blog for a month, or losing by 12 runs to the worst team in baseball?

Personally, I’ll take the blog. I want to update this more, obviously. As a baseball fan, that was humiliating. Even if I wasn’t a Phillies fan, I would feel bad for them.

I’m not even going to complain about Charlie Manuel. I’m beyond that. I don’t like him, but here’s a a fact: Charlie Manuel does not make you give up 17 runs. Yeah, no one can figure out his plan when it comes to managing the bullpen. The days he chooses to start or bench guys are baffling. It’s hard to understand what he’s saying. I don’t care.

The Phillies, specifically the bullpen, had their manliness stripped from them. Rod Barajas was ahead of the game, he got it taken care of a few weeks ago. 17 runs. Need I say more?

Yes, I do. That’s ridiculous. Jamie Moyer didn’t have his best stuff. It happens. When you pitch the way he does, you’re going to have days where you can’t feel out your curve and changeup and you’ll give up 6 runs in 4 innings, or however much he pitched. With this offense, it shouldn’t be a problem to overcome that, and it wasn’t. Howard’s HR made it a 6-5 game before it happened.

11 runs. 11 unanswered runs. It went from a one run game to a twelve run game. All from the bullpen. It’s inexcusable. This is a team that has guys hitting below .200 in the middle of the lineup. They can’t score runs, but somehow, the circus allowed them to plate 11 straight to finish an embarrassing game.

Fast forward a couple weeks.

Phillies vs. Indians. Jon Lieber is struggling once again, but they’re nursing a 4-2 lead. Jason Michaels leads off and he makes the first out. Half an hour later, the Indians still only have one out and 8 more runs are on the board. How is that possible?

I don’t know. I don’t get it. It’s mind boggling. I mean, come on. Reach back and make good pitches. If you’re on the mound and giving up hits to 9 straight batters, you really have to question yourself. At some point, you have to find it within yourself to make pitches. You’re getting paid a lot of money to do it. Do your job.

After an off day today, the Phillies have six gimmes against the Cardinals and Reds. Winning less than four is simply unacceptable. I expect five wins, and I know that’s being really optimistic. Staying within 2 games of the Mets heading into the huge four game series will be great. CBP will be rocking.

No comments: