Friday, January 12, 2007

New York Giants @ Philadelphia Eagles Game Recap

It wasn’t pretty at times, but a win is a win, especially in the playoffs. They’ll have to play better than that in New Orleans on Saturday.

- Jeff Garcia continues to be solid. No more, no less. His QB rating was probably below the league average, but he didn’t have to do more than that against the Giants. He started out flat with the rest of the offense and played well when we needed him to.

- Westbrook is a Pro Bowl player. I don’t care what the fans, coaches or other players think, he is. It’s a joke that he wasn’t selected, and I hope that someone drops out so he can get to go. He ran for 141 yards on only 20 carries, swung momentum to the Philly side on his long touchdown run and basically won the game for us on the last drive. He had a great game with a stomach problem and fought through it. There’s nothing more you can ask for.

- The Offensive Line, particularly Tra Thomas, needs to play a lot better against the Saints. I don’t know if his back is bothering him or what, but he played with almost no leverage against Osi Umenyiora and got beat on a bunch of plays. Will Smith is stronger and a more complete pass rusher. The line as a whole needs to do better in blitz pickup.

- The Eagles didn’t get anything out of the Defensive Line. I wouldn’t normally be surprised by this, but they’ve dominated the Giants the past two meetings. They need to step it up big time.

- Was anyone else as surprised as I was to see Dhani make a nice play? It was the only highlight from our Linebackers.

- The Lito injury is going to hurt big time. Hood didn’t impress me at all, and even though Brown had a decent game, our DBs are going to be hurting.

- I loved the flying tackle from Dawkins.

- That’s why we brought back Koy Detmer. I’m glad it worked out. I don’t know what would’ve happened if we had a Tony Romo situation.

- Reno Mahe sucks. He has no athleticism, and without that, what purpose does he serve as a kick returner? He makes dumb plays, doesn’t make good ones, and adds nothing to the team. Good luck next year, I just hope it isn’t with us.

- Eli did well to try and shake the choker label, he had a good game. His Offensive Line gave him support, he had a strong running game and the defense wasn’t that bad for most of the game. He had a few spotty throws and a couple bad decisions, but he wasn’t that bad.

- Even though he killed the Eagles, I’m going to miss Tiki Barber. He was a great guy, a great player, and it’s going to be tough to see him go so early. I will enjoy Brandon Jacobs being an every down back though.

- I hate Plaxico Burress. I’m sick of him. I’m sick of his face, his number, his touchdowns, his whining, and especially all the penalties he draws. It’s completely ridiculous. He throws Sheldon Brown down by his facemask and Brown gets the penalty? It’s a joke.

- I have to really respect Jeremy Shockey for playing through pain. Wait, no I don’t.

- Not playing Bob Whitfield is the best decision Coughlin ever made. The entire Offensive Line played better without him, and it definitely helped out Eli.

- Umenyiora had a lot better game than he did last time, as did the interior of the Giants defense as a whole.

- Who is that Chase Blackburn guy and how could he dominate Runyan?

- I wish FOX would stop showing Gross Punting Average stats when they talk about punters. Feagles is last in the league in that, and he’s definitely not the worst punter.

That wraps up an extended Giant week, and I have to get Divisional Round stuff up tomorrow. I’ve been planning a trip, that’s why I haven’t really updated.

No comments: